Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dinner with the Jesuits

When I arrived at the theatre that dinner was held, I was unsure what to expect. As I walked into the auditorium I noticed many students interacting amongst each other appearing as they were having a good time. Among this crowd of students I noticed a few Jesuit priests mingling around the room or relaxing at one of the many dinner tables available for students to sit.

The lights dimmed slightly and a small Jesuit priest announced for us to “Please take your seats.” As I looked around the room I spotted a few open seats for myself and my roommates. When I sat down at the table I soon noticed that my table, unlike most, was absent of a Jesuit priest. The night went on and I observed some entertainment known as the Belles and Chimes. Until that moment I had no clue such a musical group existed, especially with our small student body at Loyola.

As the entertainment came to an end I realized that in order to initiate a conversation with Jesuit priest I would have to make the first move. I personally did not know what to think of this. Coming from a Jesuit high school background and being surrounded by Jesuits for four years.

I have come to known and think of them as an outgoing and caring group. Possibly due to my personal bias, I did not sense the same outgoingness that I had experienced at my high school. “Why aren’t they trying to introduce themselves?” I asked my roommates. Looking at their blank stares I knew that coming from a similar Jesuit background they had no answer for my question.

When I finally was able to conjure up the courage to talk to an available priest, I slowly experienced a nostalgia. I felt like I was back at Fairfield Prep speaking to one of many priests available there. The two schools and their outlook or things such as poverty and service work and Justice had mended together. The Jesuit I spoke to had a great passion for good works, faith, and overall development. His pride and enthusiasm mirrored that of the Jesuits from my alma mater.

After breaking the barrier of conversation I was pleased to realize that the same pride and enthusiasm revolving around service works (ex. Year of the City) at Prep was present here at Loyola.

With events and programs like Year of the City I was continuing my Jesuit education but in a different state.