Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Exposure to Something New

From the beginning of my time here at Loyola College, I have had countless conversations about the hypothetical bubble that students are secluded in. Most observations and opinions seem to be the same: we should be in a bubble with York Road a couple of blocks away. While safety is a legitimate reason to believe that Loyola should have a “closed” campus, it would be incorrect to believe that all of Baltimore is dangerous and violent. The goal of the Year of the City is to take us as students out of our comfort zone and introduce us a new culture. While we should awaken to the harsh conditions some people live in, we must also realize the beautiful differences in other cultures. On Monday, February 26, a different and unique culture was brought to the students of Loyola College.
The Sankofa Dance Troupe erupted in the loud beats of the drums and flashy dance. McGuire Hall transformed into a center for cultural learning and indulgence. The sight of their dance was truly amazing and distinctive. I have only been exposed to the Argentine and Jamaican cultures in my life. While I was much more exposed to the daily lives of the Argentines, the resort in Jamaica was secluded from the rest of the country by a large wall. This Ghanaian dance ritual exposed me to an ethnicity that I have had no previous knowledge of. It was truly exciting to see how the Dance Troupe executed their movements and the intensity and emotion that they displayed. However, the excitement they displayed could not top the excitement and nervousness that overcame me when they asked for the crowd to participate in the dance with them. Dancing is something I do not consider myself good at doing, nor do I attempt to dance unless I am forced too. Nevertheless, as I observed the crowd partake in the dance with the Sankofa Troupe, I felt that in order to get the full experience of the event I needed to dance as well.
I may not have always thought that the Sankofa Dance Troupe as astonishing and unique. I went to a Jesuit high school, and it too exposed us to the differences in cultures. However, I can remember as a freshman in high school attending a cultural assembly. Many of the readings and performances done on stage were entertaining, but nothing more than that. I could not see the beauty in the different cultures that demonstrated some of their rituals. My friends and I would look on lackadaisically and maybe crack a joke about something every now and then. I regret not being able to see the splendor that other cultures have to offer. Having much matured since my freshman year, I am glad that I am able to appreciate what other cultures practice and believe. I hope that the Year of the City will only help me grow further in the appreciation of others.